Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Bickering with My Editor by Rolf Hitzer, Author of Hoodoo Sea


Joining us today is Rolf Hitzer, author of the supernatural science fiction book Hoodoo Sea.

The government of the United States of America is on the verge of startling the world.

Billions of dollars had been invested in its space program.

And now, the moment of truth has arrived…

Scott Reed is the man for the historic mission. He is the Wing Commander chosen by the elite brass at NASA. The assignment to test flight the first speed of light craft, held top secret, was about to shock the world. The risk? Utter and complete failure. The reward? Being a part of the greatest human accomplishment ever known to mankind.

Major James Harrow, second in command of the four person crew, despised his Wing Commander. Harrow was a proud and patriotic American. What was NASA thinking when they selected a Canadian to pilot the voyage? There was no comparison as to who was the better skilled aviator. This was his time, his moment. Major James Harrow was about to prove to everybody they were wrong to bypass him as Commander.

The weather conditions were perfect and lift-off for the test flight was text book. The triumphant cheers from Mission Control in Houston were echoed all the way to Cape Canaveral. The silent fear of the first hurdle of the flight had been succumbed. All systems were go! That is, until the crew and SOLT-X1 entered the Bermuda Triangle…



"Bickering with My Editor" by Rolf Hitzer

When I had penned, Hoodoo Sea, I had put my heart and soul into the creation of the story. Upon completion, it was time to find out if the novel was worthy for print. I prepared a query letter; made multiple copies and mailed them to as many literary agents I could locate throughout North America.

A stream of rejection letters followed, but one agent said she would give the manuscript a look. The moment of truth had arrived. Several months later I received a response. Her letter started with the book having potential, but I was unknown and I would need to shorten the length of the novel. She had also recommended additional changes, and then I was welcome to return the rewrite for another look and she would consider signing me on with their agency.

Oh boy! I needed help. I tracked down an editor, a professional. The first word, sentence and paragraph, he boldly told me to delete. What, this was my dear creation? The battle was on. You see, I had to defend my honor, not to mention my ego.

Our healthy debate continued through the entire editing process with my rewrite. This guy was beginning to really annoy me. In fact, for three weeks he was relentless on how I should change one of my main characters in the book. How dare he? To be honest, I don’t know why I gave into him, but I did. My editor, Norm Asher, I will always be grateful for his insight and help, he was right all along.

Rolf Hitzer was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada in 1959 and raised by his parents, Erna and Julius Hitzer.

Rolf attended Princess Margaret Elementary School, John Pritchard Junior High and Graduated from Kildonan East Regional Secondary School where he had majored in Culinary Arts.

Rolf is married to his wife Irma since 1997. Together they have a wonderful blended family with Rita and Clark Bodoano and Grand children, Alexandria, Patrick and Braeden. Jason and Leah Tutlies, and Grandson Easton. Mandel Hitzer, and the youngest Jessica Hitzer. Clearly the growth of his family is still a work in progress.

Rolf Hitzer has several passions besides writing, they include being at the log cabin on weekends. Spending time on the water with a fishing pole in hand. Wildlife viewing and especially Moose calling during the fall rut. Playing a range of Poker card games and a variety of board games.

Rolf is a Member of the Winnipeg Real Estate Board, The Manitoba Real Estate Association and the Canadian Real Estate Association. He is currently working on his second novel.

For more information on his book visit: http://www.hoodoosea.com/
.

Follow Rolf Hitzer's virtual book tour by visiting http://virtualbooktours.wordpress.com/ every weekday in October.


No comments: