Monday, June 16, 2008

Beneath a Buried House by Bob Avey--Book Review



If you enjoy unusual mysteries with multiple twists and turns, then check out Bob Avey's latest novel, Beneath a Buried House.

Tulsa Police Detective Kenny Elliot has a keen sense for the unusual. The death of a John Doe from an overdose seems like an easy case--to everyone except Elliot. He's sure there is more to it than meets the eye. His mission to discover the truth finds him deceived at every turn and makes him the target of an unknown danger.

In this second book of Avey's Detective Elliot series I found much to enjoy. The characters are well-developed and complex; the plot thickens as the list of potential suspects increases; and I never expected the ending.

I haven't read the first book in this series, Twisted Perception, but now I'm more curious than ever to see where Elliot got his start and how he solved his first case.

This book started off a bit slow because it is told from several points of view. The reader is introduced to eight characters who play a significant role in the book within the first six chapters and there is also a reference to a person from Elliot's past that plays a role in forming Elliot's relationship with women. But at a certain point the story picks up as the clues come together and Beneath a Buried House becomes a real page-turner. I couldn't put it down until I finished the last page.

My only disappointment is that Avey ignored an important event towards the end that intefered with how the rest of the story played out. No matter how I tried to get around it, I couldn't, and it spoiled what could have been a perfect ending.

Beneath a Buried House is a thrilling, suspenseful mystery that will have you waiting to see what case Elliot has to solve next.


Title: Beneath a Buried House
Author: Bob Avey
Publisher: Deadly Niche Press
ISBN: 978-0-937660-81-2
U.S. Price: $17.95

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to thank The Book Connection for hosting this portion of my tour.

Bob Avey