Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Crash! by Mayra Calvani--Book Review



Children will love reading about Marcelo and his new puppy in Crash! by Mayra Calvani.

Marcelo's parents surprise him on his fifth birthday with a golden retriever puppy--the one thing he wanted more than anything in the world. Thrilled beyond all belief, Marcelo must now learn how to take care of his new puppy: feeding him, walking him, playing with him. But all that is easy compared to finding a name for him.

Crash! is a charming story about a boy and his dog and the special relationship that develops between a child and his pet. Author Mayra Calvani shows off her storytelling talents once again, as she did with The Magic Violin. Calvani has a way of getting right to the heart of children with her touching stories.

Kudos go out to young illustrator, Anna Pylypchuk, whose beautifully drawn illustrations bring Calvani's story to life. My children each had their favorites drawings from the story.

I can't wait to see what Mayra Calvani's next children's book is all about!


Title: Crash!
Author: Mayra Calvani
Publisher: Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc.
ISBN-13: 978-1-933090-54-2 (Print)
ISBN-13: 978-1-933090-71-9 (eBook)
U.S. Price: $10.95 (Print)

THE AUTHOR IS DONATING 50% OF HER ROYALTIES TO ALMOST HEAVEN GOLDEN RETRIEVER RESCUE AND SANCTUARY, A NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION. ALMOST HEAVEN-GOLDEN-RETRIEVER-RESCUE.ORG

10 comments:

Mayra Calvani said...

Thanks for the great review, Chery, and for hosting me on your blog!
best,
Mayra

Anonymous said...

This sounds like such a cute book. :) Thanks for putting up a review.

Mayra Calvani said...

Thanks for the lovely review, Cheryl, and for hosting me here today!

Donna McDine said...

Cheryl...great review. I must get this book for my niece, they recently added a golden retriever to their family.

Warmly,
Donna

Mayra Calvani said...

Oh Donna, really?! Goldens are the BEST!!!

Anonymous said...

Mayra's book sounds so wonderful. I can't wait to get it for my grandchildren.

Shari Lyle-Soffe
http://www.rooterandsnuffle.blogspot.com

Mayra Calvani said...

That's sweet of you, Shari!

thewriterslife said...

Cheryl, you write a damn good review, but then, you had a damn good book to review, lol. Am I allowed to say damn?

thewriterslife said...

Oh, I forgot..must be nice to have a golden. I've got two cocker spaniels and a sheltie which are golden in color but that's about it...they are stupid! I did not say that...I love my babies.

Christopher Hoare said...

Golden Retriever -- lovely dogs, but completely insane. Brother-in-law bought one, wouldn't listen to advice, took about 2 months for her to learn 'where to "go"'.

Neighbours have one and she always tries to break bounds and follow ours on their runs -- gets filthy. I usually have to go to house and put her inside the back door.

Hope your young readers learn the big picture about caring for a puppy.

Chris.