Thursday, September 24, 2026

Interview with Tara Badstubner, Author of Every Room Remembers

 


Tara Badstubner lives in Pennsylvania and is busy creating her next novel surrounded by her husband, children, grandbabies, and several silly dogs. Every Room Remembers is her debut novel, releasing in September 2026 from Sibylline Press. A former Artist-In-Residence for Bookgardan, Tara can be found at tarabadstubner.com and on Instagram @tarabadstubner.

What inspired you to write Every Room Remembers? How did you create your protagonist SJ?

The novel began to take shape during COVID. The exceptional loss that we all absorbed daily put me in a tough headspace. A dear mentor suggested I write into my fears instead of trying to ignore them. Her suggestion allowed me to feel the loss and heartache deeply but through the safe guise of my fictional protagonist, SJ.

Do you believe the natural world sends us signs?

I feel I’ve benefited many times from signs appearing at just the right moment, encouraging me or comforting me. For me, signs often come through cherished songs that hold significance, through the appearance of certain animals, and through numbers.


What is the significance of the animals portrayed in the book?

Each animal in the novel represents something unique. For instance, the book opens with the appearance of a black snake. The snake in some cultures is a harbinger of change or transformation. Right after this scene, SJ’s and Wyatt’s lives experience the ultimate transformation. If we can attune our senses to the more subtle communications all around, then we’ll be amazed how much the mystical world is trying to engage with us.

What inspired you to write about “the other side of grief” from Wyatt’s perspective?

We always think of grief in terms of the one left behind, and that’s so strange to me. An unanticipated death is bound to affect both the living and the deceased, as so much remains unresolved. I wanted to give the dead a voice beyond being mourned and canonized. They were imperfect; they had struggles and foibles, and death doesn’t negate their humanity.

How do we cope with the feelings of regret and lack of resolution that often come with great loss?

In my novel, my characters are good people in a loving but flawed marriage. They didn’t always get it right, and there was much left unresolved. Who among us always gets it right? But gradually, SJ and Wyatt learn to recognize and have faith in the extraordinary tenacity and goodwill of life. Yes, there is heartache and punishing turns, but I do believe that love has the final word, whether in this life or what lies beyond.

What is the significance of setting this story in Beaufort, SC?

The region of Beaufort, South Carolina first appears on maps in the 1500s as Santa

Elena, so it has seen a lot, experienced a lot. I wanted a place where one senses that compressed energy of many lives lived, all the joys and all the heartaches. Practically everyone in Beaufort has a ghost story they’ll gladly tell you. It’s part of the fabric of the town, this fragile veil between the living and the dead.

Are you interested in interior design like your protagonist?

Yes, SJ and I share a love for interior design. I consider it to be a kind of artistic expression. I grew up with a mom who loved making her home beautiful and welcoming, and for better or for worse, I’m the same way. For me, home can be a refuge.

What do you hope your readers will take away from the book?

I hope that those who experience deep grief feel seen and held with love. Grief can be so isolating and sometimes the only thing a person has the bandwidth for is a book—not texts, lunch dates, or visitors at their door, but the humble book that one can pick up and put down at leisure. I want readers to experience the slow resurrection of SJ’s life and through her imagine a life for themselves where there are still one or two wonderful surprises waiting for them.


Every Room Remembers

Tara Badstubner | September 25, 2026 | Sibylline Press | Literary Fiction

Paperback | ISBN: 9798897409167 | $22.00 Ebook | ISBN: 9798897409150 | $5.99

Purchase from Amazon

No comments: