Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books That Live in My Head Rent-Free



Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. 

Happy Tuesday! Hope your week is going great. Still in real estate hell, so say a prayer for me. Saw the doctor yesterday. Guess what? I am allergic to a lot of stuff. I could have told them that. At least I know most of what I am allergic to now. Also had more bloodwork drawn for more specific triggers. 

This week's Top Ten Tuesday prompt is about: 
  • Books you can’t stop thinking about
  • Books that left a lasting emotional impact
  • Books you quote, reference, or mentally revisit
  • Books that shaped your perspective or imagination
This should be an easy one. Let's see. 

Top Ten Books That Live in My Head Rent Free

Joshua by Joseph F. Girzone: If you ever wondered what would happen if Jesus returned to live among us, this is a book you might want to consider. Loved all of the Joshua books. The author was a Catholic priest dedicated to making Jesus better known throughout the world.

The Greatest Miracle in the World by Og Mandino: While all of Mandino's books are thought-provoking, this remains my favorite. It features the "Memorandum from God," which you are meant to recite daily. This memo helped me through a dark period of life.

Beyond Me: Living A You-First Life in a Me-First World by Kathi Macias: I read this book early on in my blogging adventures. It's how Kathi and I became such good friends. A true call to discipleship, her unique approach to well-known Scripture was refreshing and renewed my interest in Bible reading. 

Co-Created: The Cultural Strategy That Redefined PacSun by Brieane Oleson: This book is all about being a relationship-focused, purpose-driven business. What happened at PacSun became a Harvard Business School Case Study. 

Change Your Paradigm, Change Your Life: Flip That Switch NOW! by Bob Proctor: I was fascinated by this book when I first listened to it. Proctor reminds us that the only thing we can change is ourselves, and in understanding that, we can change our lives.

Dad's Runaway Butt by Dawn McMillian: This book reminded me how good it is to laugh. The cover caught my eye, and I read it in the middle of Target. I laughed so hard that tears were streaming down my face. I can't stop giggling every time I think of it. 

The Santa Letters by Stacy Gooch-Anderson: This book is about the impact of grief and how sometimes it takes a community to help a family heal. 

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens: As I stated in this post from a "Journey Through Christmases Past" article, Dickens showed us what a world without charity, kindness, generosity, and social responsibility looked like. This one book gave Christmas its spirit. 

The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough: This book proves that forbidden love and generational trauma create an enduring story, and how ambition can be both wonderful and destructive. 

The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder: This book shows that sometimes the hero really is just a shy, quiet guy who is motivated by doing the right thing without expecting any reward. 


Photo credit to articular on Magnific (formerly FreePik)



Tell Me Something Tuesday (TMST) is hosted by Jen Twimom at That's What I'm Talking AboutTMST is a weekly discussion post where bloggers discuss a wide range of topics from books and blogging to life in general. Participation is optional, and you can leave your comments in the weekly post when you participate. Check it out if you're interested in joining.

Tell Me Something Tuesday is on hiatus until September. Check back for more prompts then.

8 comments:

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I was just thinking about The Greatest Miracle in the World the other day -- I read it during COVID and I'd love to read it in book club but I don't want to spend money on new copies of the book for everyone. Aren't there a ton of used ones out there somewhere?

Pam @ Read! Bake! Create! said...

I remember being intimidated by the idea of reading The Christmas Carol, until I had a copy and realized it's a funny ghost story. Sure I had watched adaptations, many of which scared me, but none had prepared me for the saracastic humor.
Here's my TTT for the week: https://readbakecreate.com/my-seven-favorite-holiday-reads-of-2025/

Emily said...

A nice mix of books there. I love A Christmas Carol.

Have a great week!

Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2026/07/21/top-ten-tuesday-books-that-live-in-my-head-rent-free/

Lydia said...

I reread A Christmas Carol every December!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I read The Long Winter during the pandemic, and it reminded me that no matter how bad things were during the pandemic, things were not as bad as during a deadly winter storm when animals and people were freezing, did not have heat, and had little food.

crackercrumblife said...

The Long Winter might be my favorite LH book. It is amazing to me that people lived through that. And I am glad that you found out what you are allergic to!

Danyelle said...

Nice list. Have a good week. Here is my TTT. https://dmhoisington.wordpress.com/2026/07/21/top-ten-tuesday-36-books-that-live-in-my-head-rent-free/

Shelleyrae @ Book’d Out said...

The Thornbirds seems to be the odd one out, though it is a good book
Thanks for sharing your #TTT