Monday, July 24, 2023

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? and Mailbox Monday - Jul 24

Welcome to It's Monday! What Are You Reading? and Mailbox Monday. 

 


It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a place to meet up and share what you have been, are and about to be reading over the week. It's a great post to organize yourself. It's an opportunity to visit and comment, and er... add to that ever growing TBR pile! So welcome in everyone. This meme started with J Kaye's Blog and then was taken up by Sheila from Book Journey. Sheila then passed it on to Kathryn at the Book Date.       

Happy Monday, everyone! As we get closer to the end of July, how are your reading goals looking? I'm ahead of schedule, but not sure what the rest of the year will look like. I tend to get busy in September, and with some unexpected changes at work, I have a feeling the last two quarters of the year will find me with less reading time. We shall see.

This was my first full week back since vacation, so I played a bit of catch up. Two accepted offers and a new listing made it grand. I might have two more listings on the horizon as well. 

Thanks to Prime Day and trading in my older Kindles, I grabbed a Paperwhite for a great price. It is so much smaller than all the other Kindles I've owned. It might take some getting used to being in all black and white again. My last two devices were Kindle Fires. 

Yankee Candle had a promotion for my birthday month, so I grabbed two beachy, vacation-type candles for next to nothing.


That's really good, because we came home to our sewer pump not working and our HVAC and A/C compressor needing replacement. Oh, the joys of homeownership! 

One of the other fun things I did this week is listen in on a multi-day, children's author focused, online summit that covered a variety of topics. It's been so long since I immersed myself in such an event that I had forgotten how much I love them. 

In my reading world, I've done my best to keep ahead of my review schedule. I've been listening to this one on Audible. Great book, but not for you if you can't stand a bit of snark, the occasional F-bomb, or phrases like, "kick to the d*ck." 


I am moving along with this one. It's just slow going because you really have to experience a Jerome Charyn novel. You can't speed read through it and take it all in. My review is due August 21st. 


I started this one. The launch team has weekly Zoom meetings with the author, which has been cool. My review will appear August 18th. 


I didn't open this one this week. 



Upcoming virtual book tours:
  • An Atomic Love Story: The Extraordinary Women in Robert Oppenheimer's Life by Shirley Streshinsky & Patricia Klaus - July 24 
  • Come to Me by Amy W. Vogel - July 25 (review)
  • The Five Watches: An Accident of Time by John York - August 4 
  • Exits by Stephen C. Pollock - August 7 (review)
  • Mama Dida: My Road to Canada by Leonida Teohari - August 8
  • Blood & Water by Linda Armstrong-Miller - August 9
  • My Thoughts Are Colored Purple by Marina Quindiagan - August 10
  • Shoebox Baby by Sharon Bruce - August 11
  • Red Tail Feathers by Wendi Lou Lee - August 18 (review)
  • Sammy the Sailing Sea Turtle by Gwendol - August 16 (TC&TBC)
  • Ravage & Son by Jerome Charyn - August 21 (review)
  • Victoria James: And The Mysterious Case of the Chilly Willies by Elizabeth Burns August 29 (review TC&TBC)
  • Precious Burdens by Avery Sterling - August 31
  • Death and the Sisters by Heather Redmond - October 17 (review)
  • Resparking Creativity by Fatemah Mirza & Sumayyah Rafiq - November 20 (review)

Mailbox Monday is the gathering place for readers to share the books that came in their mailbox during the last week. Warning: Mailbox Monday can lead to envy, toppling TBR piles and humongous wish lists.

Here are a couple of books I requested from NetGalley.



I also received a digital copy of this book for review in November.


That's all she wrote, folks. Off to check on your blogs. Hope you have a great day!

13 comments:

Kathy Martin said...

Homeownership can be costly! We recently replaced our hot water heater which was more expensive than I had planned. Your books look interesting. You read such a variety. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

Cheryl Malandrinos said...

We go through a water heater once every 7 - 9 years, so I feel your pain. Off to check out your week! Thanks for visiting, Kathy.

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

Is Jo and Laurie a spin off of Little Women? I used to want them to get together so badly.

Cheryl said...

Hi Anne, it's a retelling of Jo and Laurie's romance that takes place after Jo's first book has been published, and she is struggling to write the next one. Yes, I always saw them together as well.

Thanks for visiting.

Greg said...

Our AC went on the fritz too not long ago. Thankfully it wasn't too expensive (the part was still on warranty with DAYS to go). Congrats on the offers! I've enjoyed my Paperwhite..

Yvonne said...

I love my Paperwhite. I hope you enjoy yours. Have a great week!

Cheryl Malandrinos said...

Thanks, Greg. Great to hear you made it under warranty. Yvonne, I think I will like it. Just need to get used to the change.

Thanks to both of you for visiting today.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I'm eager to hear about Hummingbird Season. Hope you will tell us more soon.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I love Yankee Candles...and the Little Women spin-offs are good. I haven't read Jo & Laurie, so off I go to check on it.

Cheryl Malandrinos said...

I started it today, Deb. Love it so far.

Me, too, Laurel. We have a flagship store about an hour from us.

Thanks for visiting this week!

Emma at Words And Peace / France Book Tours said...

I love novels in verse, and Hummingbird Season sounds like a great one, enjoy!
Here is my post, with giveaways:
https://wordsandpeace.com/2023/07/23/sunday-post-89-07-23-2023-book-giveaways-galore/

Martha Eskuchen said...

Since I had to replace a water heater in February I commiserate with you.
Sounds like you are doing well (again) in your selling career. A conscientious realtor is a big help.
I like your new NetGalley picks -- tempting me.
Have a good week and Happy Reading!

Cheryl Malandrinos said...

Thanks for visiting, Emma and Martha.

Emma, this one is fun so far.

Martha, thanks for your kind words.

Hope you both had a nice reading week.