Thursday, February 16, 2023

Audible Book Review: Mastery by George Leonard

 


I wasn't sure what to expect of Mastery, but it came recommended to me. Drawing on his Zen philosophy and expertise in Aikido, Leonard explains the importance and process of mastery. The Master is the life-long learner, the one who gets on the path and stays on it. The book discusses how society looks for the quick-fix and how we are conditioned to value "results, the prize and the climactic moment," but not the continued practicing to master the skill. 

What a fascinating and powerful book! Broken down into three parts, Leonard draws the reader in with his conversational style. The only area I struggled with is where the author relied heavily on his martial arts expertise. Still worth reading and referring back to time and again to keep one focused.

The narrator on the audio book was great, which can make or break a book for me. The chapter headings were messed up between what the actual chapter was and what showed on my screen. There are 14 chapters, but my audible screen showed 18. The author's narration was, however, correct. 

If you are seeking a book that honors the process and not just the results, Mastery is for you.

Listening Length3 hours and 37 minutes
AuthorGeorge Leonard
NarratorTimothy Andrés Pabon
Whispersync for VoiceReady
Audible.com Release DateMay 22, 2018
PublisherTantor Audio
Program TypeAudiobook
VersionUnabridged
LanguageEnglish
ASINB07D184JF2
I used an Audible credit for this book. This review contains my honest opinions, which I have not been compensated for in any way.

No comments: