Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Guest Post from Alan Kessler, Author of Damnation and Cotton Candy

Damnation and Cotton Candy are poems from a dark and shadowy land haunted by memory, by ghosts still alive. But what would we be without these dark intruders from our past? 

Vacuous passengers on the good ship Lollipop? 

Guest Post


Face In Blood
 

Poetry is that, the poet showing her true face by cutting open old wounds. 

At a recent book signing for my novel, Ghost Dancer, I was asked, because of the resilient nature of the book’s protagonist, a teenage girl, what made her able to not only survive abusive parents, loneliness, rejection, and issues of body image—not only endure—but triumph. 

I put my microphone down a moment before answering. The complex emotions I have about my childhood often fuel my writing. This question struck at the heart of them. But I didn’t want to impose on my audience by making my background part of the discussion. A novel should create characters whose motivations are discernable from the story. A book signing isn’t an opportunity for a novelist to engage in woe-is-me group therapy. 

My answer? I remembered what I had written in my Amazon profile--resilience isn’t an achievement but exists as a matter of luck. The central character in Ghost Dancer was lucky— 

And so was I—that wasn’t part of my answer then. It is now. 

By its nature, poetry is personal. The poems in Damnation and Cotton Candy are statement ones, vivid and visceral, nothing hidden, no boundary between what I feel and what I write. 

Here are two poems about family that are in the book:  

Father’s Day 

                                Deep raspberry color staining violent across

                                goose-fleshed asphalt, the cinnabar of a death mark

                                all that’s left of the old car he bought

                                after exchanging his gold nugget necklace and leisure suit 

                                for the plot that would dress him in Death Row diapers.

 

                                Drifting across an old stone wall, amber light sways gently

                                on the spider’s lacework where a white feather hangs between

                                beads of dew; petals dry in the center of a broken clay pot.

                                Father splashed it all with beer,

                                squashed the spider in his hand.

 

                                Seen against starlight, each rising bubble of croaking

                                and cricket song break at dawn,

                                a worm family dancing to the music.

                                Father had heavy boots.

                                He picked up the rest for fishing.

 

                                I didn’t know what the word meant.

                                Father didn’t care about anything I said,

                                but I guess it gave him a reason

                                to push me down the stairs.

 

                                On dirty asphalt where his shitty car disintegrated

                                because he could no longer afford even rust,

                                there’s just some faded crud and me standing, remembering him.

 

                                 Happy Father’s Day.  

 

* Mother  

* Some poems don’t require words

Mr. Kessler’s novel, Ghost Dancer was a 2022 Eric Hoffer Award Finalist. His novel, The Butcher, was a semi-finalist in the 2018 William Faulkner-William Wisdom Writing Competition and a 2019 Montaigne Medal Finalist in the Eric Hoffer Writing Contest. Also, the Strassler Center for Holocaust and Genocide Studies at Clark University added a copy to its library collection, finding the story helpful to the Center’s students and faculty doing research.

His first novel, A Satan Carol, was a Kirkus monthly pick.

When living in Florida, he had a novella selected as a finalist in the Florida Governor’s Screenwriting Contest.

He studied fiction in the MFA program at Vermont College, PEN author Diane Lefer his primary instructor. Before his school closed because of COVID he taught the martial arts to children and adults on the autism spectrum.

Mr. Kessler is married, lives in Vermont with his wife, four children, two cats and a dog.

Damnation and Cotton Candy is his first book of poetry. Various small literary publications have published individual poems from this collection.

Visit the author at www.alanskessler.com



No comments: