Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books Set in a School



Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.   

August is winding down and here we are at the last Top Ten Tuesday of the month. I love this week's topic, and knew exactly how I wanted to take it when I read we had a School Freebie. So, here are my...

Top Ten Books Set in a School


Hogwartz is just as much of a character as any of the students and faculty that resides within its walls. I could never tire of reading more about this magical school.


This is a sequel to A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. It tells the story of the girls left behind at Miss Minchin's Select Seminary for Young Ladies. The author was totally captivated by the characters in the original, and her passion for the material shines through.


As I said in my 2011 review of Vordak the Incomprehenisble: Rule the School, I don't suffer from writer envy, but I totally wish I wrote this one. Vordak wants to create a powerful ray to turn all the water to ice, but due to an unexpected error, he winds up at Farding Junior High. One of the funniest books I have ever read.


Nate Rocks the School is another funny story that I enjoyed. Now in fifth grade, Nate Rocks must step in when the class trip to New York City is in danger of being canceled. 


The Red Sheet is one of my all-time favorite YA novels. The main character, Bryan Dennison, a self-centered jock and obnoxious bully, wakes up one day a totally different person. He can't remember what caused the change or who he was before, but the target of his bullying isn't interested in anything the new Bryan has to offer. 


This middle grade novel tackles the topics of censorship and cyberbullying. The Truth about Truman School is a novel about what happens when two students, frustrated by the censorship of their meaningful articles for the school newspaper, start their own unofficial newspaper with few rules and a notice that there will be no censorship. This approach quickly creates a situation of cyberbullying and many lives are changed as a result. 


Sophie Washington: Secret Santa is a middle grade novel that primarily takes place at Sophie's school. A mysterious Santa has been mailing packages to Sophie, but there is no secret Santa exchange going on at school, so she can't imagine who it could be. A side plot includes the issue of bullying. 


This is one of my favorite middle grade novels. SLOB is the story of Owen Birnbaum, a genius inventor who created a TV that shows the past. A tragedy led him to overeating and now he is the target of bullies. A new kid that he refers to as the school psycho tortures him, and when Owen's cookies disappear from his lunch, he creates a new thief catching device. What Owen learns along the way, however, is that science doesn't have all the answers. 


When my girls were younger, I saw Dork Diaries as the female answer to Diary of a Wimpy Kid. My girls read both series, but I much prefer Dork Diaries because the characters grow and change more than Greg and his crew. The series starts off with Nikki Maxwell starting a new school, meeting her new soon-to-be BFFs, and clashing with a mean girl. 


Monster School is a poetry collection of zany seasonal happenings that reminded me of Shel Silverstein's work.  

What do you think of my list of books? What are some of your favorite books set in a school?

12 comments:

Lydia said...

Harry Potter has been a popular pick this week!

My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-microhistory-books-worth-reading

Cheryl said...

I figured HP would make a lot of lists this week. Off to check out your page, Lydia.

Lark said...

Harry Potter all the way! I love those books. :D

iloveheartlandX said...

I also really enjoyed Harry Potter as a kid!
My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2022/08/30/top-ten-tuesday-383/

Terrie said...

I'm surprised more people didn't pick Harry Potter! I didn't even think of it. :) Good list.
But, sheesh, there are so many new-to-me books this week; my TBR is popping its seams!
Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys
https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/ttt-set-in-school

Jessica @ a GREAT read said...

Oooh nice topic! Seeing a variety of them today! Great picks too! Only familiar with Harry of course!

Thanks for visiting my TTT!

Lectrice Vorace said...

SLOB seems interesting!

Cheryl said...

Lark and iloveheatlandX, I was an adult before I finally broke down and read the Harry Potter series, but I loved it.

Terrie, I was surprised not see Harry Potter on my sites today as well.

Jessica, the variety was really great today.

Lectrice, SLOB is such a fabulous book. I hope you get a chance to read it.

Thanks for stopping by today, everyone.

Emily said...

Some interesting looking books here. The only reason I didn't put Harry Potter on my list was because it has been on a lot of my other lists recently 😂

Have a great week!

Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
My post:
https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/08/30/top-ten-tuesday-books-with-a-school-theme/

Cheryl said...

I feel like a talk a lot about some books, too, Emily. Thanks for visiting.

Pam said...

I agree that Hogwarts is as much a character as a setting in the HP series. Thank you for stopping by my blog earlier.

Pam @ Read! Bake! Create!
https://readbakecreate.com/10-of-my-favorite-young-adult-books/

Cheryl said...

Great to see you here, Pam. Hope you have a great weekend.