Monday, August 15, 2022

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? and Mailbox Monday - Aug 15

Welcome to It's Monday! What Are You Reading? and Mailbox Monday. 

 


It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a place to meet up and share what you have been, are and about to be reading over the week. It's a great post to organize yourself. It's an opportunity to visit and comment, and er... add to that ever growing TBR pile! So welcome in everyone. This meme started with J Kaye's Blog and then was taken up by Sheila from Book Journey. Sheila then passed it on to Kathryn at the Book Date

Happy Monday! Here we are at mid-August with a little over a month to go before the first day of fall. Autumn remains my favorite season. I know I would miss the cooler weather and all the great fall smells from the Northeast if we ever moved, but we would adjust. 


Our hotel is booked, most of the Lil' Princess' things are packed, and we pick up her new car soon (hopefully today). We leave Friday to drive her to UNCW by Saturday morning. 



This weekend, we visited with a family friend who is moving--oddly enough--to Wilmington, NC. She has been a dear friend for decades. We are sorry to see her go, but she needs to be closer to her family. It is comforting to know the Lil' Princess will have a familiar face not far from campus. 

In addition to reading, I am plugging away at an editing project. I love the way this author writes. I'll be sure to share when her book is available for sale. 

Last week on my blog I featured the First Chapter Review of Birthright by Jeanette Baker. You can read it here



I am partway through this book. Charyn delivers historical fiction that seems as if it could be 100% true. The Secret Life of Emily Dickinson remains my favorite so far, but I am enjoying Big Red. Look for my review on September 23.


Look for my review of this writing craft book here on August 25.


On September 27, I will feature a First Chapter Review of this book at The Children's and Teens' Book Connection

In October, I will be reviewing this book.




I will be working on this Christmas book in between. 


After that, it is probably these.









Mailbox Monday is the gathering place for readers to share the books that came in their mailbox during the last week. Warning: Mailbox Monday can lead to envy, toppling TBR piles and humongous wish lists.

My physical mailbox was empty, but I grabbed this Kindle freebie. I am a sucker for a pretty cover and anything set on the water--which I still find hilarious considering my fear of the water.



Five-Star-Chef Zoe Griffin walked away from her dream job. Did she make a mistake?

Her engagement off, Zoe Griffin retreats to tiny Wildflower Island in the Puget Sound. Hiding out as a cook and maid at a shabby bed-and-breakfast seems crazy for a chef who’s used to running her own five-star kitchen. And just as she starts to feel at home, her klutzy mishaps make Zoe fear her handsome new boss will fire her.

Dr. Nick Jackson is done with medicine, and owning a B&B is as far from doctoring as he can get. He needs help, but his only employee’s mistakes give him doubts. As Zoe lets her defenses down, Nick begins to see a competent and caring woman. One whose wounds are as deep as his own. But as they fall for each other, Nick and Zoe must learn the hardest lesson of all—to forgive. Only then can they heal the past and embrace the future . . . together.

On a side note, we visited an historical home in Manteo while on vacation, which would be the perfect B&B. In my next life, I will own it and live there. 

That's it for me this week. Hope you enjoy browsing these books and sharing some of what your reading. 

11 comments:

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I love the cover of Island Refuge and hopped over to Goodreads only to find that its on my Kindle! I bought it 7 years ago, lol. I'll have to move it up my TBR list :)
Good luck with the dorm move!

Kathy Martin said...

Such an exciting time for your daughter! I hope the transition to school goes well for her. You also have a nice assortment of books on your stack. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

Cheryl said...

That happens to me a lot, Mary. I really need to catch up on my Kindle books.

Yes, very exciting time, Kathy. Thanks so much for the good wishes.

Greg said...

I love autumn too. I'm enjoying summer but also looking forward to fall. And good luck with the college move! We have that coming up in a couple weeks too...

Kathryn T said...

I love Autumn too, especially the autumn colours, but then again we will be going into Spring in a months time and that is welcome. I take it your daughter is going to a college in North Carolina. Nice that one of your good friends will be nearby. A little visitng?

Cheryl said...

Greg, we will have to compare college move-in stories. One of our friends drove from MA to OH for one of her children and is driving an additional 700 miles to drop of the twin at another school.

Kathryn, yes, she is going to University of North Carolina in Wilmington. She wanted Chapel Hill, but likes Wilmington just as much. She has at least two beaches within easy driving distance. She might even have a heads up on a job already.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Your trip to take your daughter to college sounds so good. A great journey.

Enjoy your books, and I keep meaning to read the books that take us back to Little House on the Prairie.

Have a great week.

Yvonne said...

I do love autumn. We moved to Florida three years ago so it's always summer here. It took me time to get used to it, but I'm getting there :)

Hope you enjoy your books and have a great week!

Cheryl said...

We are hoping it will be a fun ride, Laurel. We will stop off in VA overnight and get there Saturday morning. I really wish I was reading Back to Little House on the Prairie. I have several cast books to read yet.

Yvonne, I am glad to hear you are adjusting. I'm not sure how I will feel about lack of snow in the winter if we move down south.

Thanks for visiting today, everyone.

Damyanti Biswas said...

I enjoyed reading The Children's Blizzard. As heartbreaking as it was, it had beautiful words woven into a story.

Martha Eskuchen said...

I like Autumn too. I have the Island Refuge in my Kindle Library from 2016.
I hope you have a great week and a safe trip to deliver your daughter to college.
Happy Reading!