Friday, April 15, 2022

Blogging from A to Z 2022 - Mom

#AtoZChallenge 2022 Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter


Welcome to Day 13 of the Blogging from A to Z April Challenge (2022) I will be discussing topics of interest to those who identify as women this year. The Book Connection is lucky number 78 in a list of more than 140 bloggers who are participating in 2022. I encourage you to check out the list and visit other blogs with topics of interest. 

MOM

I've held the title of mom for almost 35 years now. Hard to believe, since I feel no different from when I was in my 20s or 30s. There are a variety of terms to describe moms. Here are a few I've held:
  • Teenage mom
  • Unwed mom
  • Single mom
  • Stay-at-home mom
  • Working mom
I was two months shy of my 19th birthday when my son was born. His father and I never married, and we split up when our son was 18 months old. My husband and I met in high school, but we didn't date until about three years after we graduated. I spent 11 years as a single mom and worked three jobs for five years just to make ends meet. My husband and I married in 2000, and I spent 18 out of the first 40 months we were married pregnant. Though I returned to work after the Lil' Diva was born, after the birth of the Lil' Princess, I stayed at home with the girls for 11 years. In 2014, I returned to the workforce.

Though I mentioned working mom as one of my titles, I've always felt that term isn't appropriately used. Stay-at-home moms and those moms who pursue a career are both working moms. They just work in different ways. Believe me, one can be just as exhausting as the other. At this point in my life, I've pursued a career, but I contributed to my household in other ways when I stayed home. Every mom deserves recognition for her efforts, whether they take place in the playroom or the boardroom. 

Little side note on the girls' nicknames. I explained earlier in the week how Lil' Diva came to be. See J if you missed it. The reason we call our youngest the Lil' Princess also has a story behind it. Driving in the car one day, she was being naughty. So, I told her to stop it or she would have a time out. She responded, "You can't punish me. I'm a princess." So, in the blogging world she became known as the Lil' Princess. 

6 comments:

Kajal said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dino said...

Great post.

Moms (or Mums where I'm from) are the working backbone of society and grossly under appreciated.
I've raised my boys to have immense respect for their Mum and I'm always thrilled when I see them with their arms draped around her.

Cheryl said...

Where would we be without our Moms/Mums? Thanks for visiting, Dino.

ladyleemanila said...

great post, Cheryl :)
I was a full time Mum to HRH the son until he was 10 and I love it!

kaykuala said...

It is interesting Cheryl that you mentioned Working Mom/Mum as a group. Unfairly treated, not acknowledged for its economic importance. You are a Working Mom if you are salaried. The contributions of a real 'working mom' toiling with housework if pooled together and given a value, is a tremendous product. It is not found anywhere unlike the wages of salaried Working Moms which is shown as a Cost to the Organisation. A pity! Thanks for stopping by Hank's blog ie Rainbow!

Hank

Cheryl said...

Thanks, ladyleemanila and kaykuala. I appreciate you visiting.