Monday, November 22, 2021

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Characters I’d Love An Update On



Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.

What a neat topic for this week. We are talking about characters whose whereabouts we are curious about now that the book is over. So, here are my...

Top Ten Characters I’d Love An Update On


I met Samantha Mae Costas--the petite, nearsighted, asthmatic heroine of Ben Furman's Sam's Quest series--in 2009. This action-filled young adult fantasy series captivated me right away. I also read the second book, The Royal Trident, and eagerly awaited the third book in the trilogy. But it never came. Would Sam have found her place in the world? Would she eventually triumph over those who seek to destroy the Originators? 


Clare and I lived through a three-book journey--Still There, Clare; No Fair, Clare; Double-Dare, Clare--before she dropped out of my life forever. Beginning when Clare was 13 and trying to break up with her imaginary friend (something I would have understood if we were the same age) and ending with Clare learning from some bad choices, I always thought there was a lot more to Clare's story. Seems like the author had other ideas. I would like to see how Clare would have navigated the rest of high school and what her future plans turned out to be.


I'm not shy about my love for historical fiction set in Colonial America, so Faith & Honor by Robin Maderich was bound to capture my attention. This is a story of two people on opposite sides of a conflict falling in love. This is the first book of a planned trilogy, but I haven't seen new books in the series. I want to know what the future holds for Faith Ashley and Fletcher Irons. 


I followed the Sullivans through five books--Against Doctor's Orders, Beyond the Code of Conduct, Capturing Karma, All's Fair in Love and Law, and In the St. Nick of Time--before saying goodbye to the Sullivan family and the Chicago PD. It seemed like the stories of the Sullivans were complete, but I want to know what happens after Kay and Flynn solve the Santa Slayer murders. What's next for them and for the rest of the family?


The Mr. Tinfish series was so much fun because of the zany characters, but the topic it deals with is a serious one--climate change. From the first book through to the last, the animal characters are forced to make decisions and often relocate as homes and food supplies are in danger and natural disasters threaten their colony. My hope for these characters is that things have settled down in Daphne Wood, but I would love to revisit it to see how things have gone.



What the Bishop Saw is the first book in The Amish Bishop Mysteries series. I've also read When the Bishop Needs an Alibi and Who the Bishop Knows. This is an Amish cozy mystery series featuring Bishop Henry Lapp, who has an uncanny ability to draw and remember the smallest details of what he has seen. All of these are stand alone novels and the series ended strongly, but I would like to see more of the good bishop and his community.


For a period of time, Charlotte Hubbard also wrote under the name Naomi King. Her Home at Cedar Creek series included four books--Abby Finds Her Calling, Rosemary Opens Her Heart, Amanda Weds A Good Man, Emma Blooms At Last. This series was originally called One Big Happy Family. An Amish Country Christmas anthology also has a story set in Cedar Creek. I would love to visit these characters and their community again.


On Strike for Christmas ended right where it should, but did the changes stick? Fellow stay-at-home parents will enjoy the story when the moms go on strike because they are sick of doing it all themselves. This is one of the funniest holiday stories I've read. After all the events that transpired, does everyone continue to pull together each holiday season?  


The Santa Letters is an unforgettable story of finding missing hope. A family suffers a tragedy and they struggle to move on, but letters from Santa might hold the key. How did the Jensen family fare the next Christmas and beyond? Did they continue the tradition of the Santa Letters?  


This young adult novel is about Bryan Dennison, who wakes up one morning as a totally different person. While he can't remember much of his previous life, he feels like he was not a nice guy. He also finds himself attracted to Scott Beckett, the victim of much of his bullying. Scott, of course, wants nothing to do with Bryan. Honestly, this isn't a normal read for me or an easy read for most people because of the topic matter: bullying and assault. It happens to be, however, a powerful story of being comfortable in your own skin, of seeking forgiveness, and being able to forgive. How did Bryan and Scott fare after high school? How did what happened permanently change them and their community? 

So, what do you think of my list? Did we share any of the same books? What is one character you would love an update on?

5 comments:

Greg said...

I love the sound of the climate change one!

Cheryl said...

It was a good series. Thanks for visiting, Greg.

Susan said...

I'm not familiar with any of these books, but they must feature memorable characters if you're still thinking about them and wondering what happened to them after their written story ended.

Happy TTT (on a Wednesday)!

Alicia @ A Kernel of Nonsense said...

I'm not familiar with these, but I do know the sting of a series not getting a sequel you expected.

Cheryl said...

Thanks for visiting, Susan and Alicia. Hope you had a nice week.