Sunday, December 20, 2020

Book Review: The Case for Christmas by Lee Strobel

 

When journalist Lee Strobel is sent to interview a family who lost all they owned in a fire, little does he know this encounter will forever change the course of his life. 

The Case for Christmas by Lee Strobel opens with his visit with Perfecta Delgado and her two granddaughters. While reporting for the Chicago Tribune on some of the city's neediest families, Strobel is touched by the feeling of hope of peace displayed by this family who had lost everything in a fire. 

Strobel's second visit to the Delgado's home brings even more surprises and leads him on a journey to discover the identity of the Child in the Manger. 

Part of Strobel's Case for... Series that began with The Case for Christ, this former atheist shares his story of how his encounter with the Delgado family led him to investigate the identity of Jesus through interviews with well-known scholars and theologians across the world. 

This is a book that came recommended to me by my former pastor. I don't read nonfiction as much these days, but this book was on sale and it is less than 115 pages, so I figured the Advent season would be the perfect time to read it. 

Going into it, I wasn't sure what to expect, though I knew Strobel converted to Christianity as a result of his investigation. What unfolds within these pages is an engaging and thought-provoking discussion on the evidence that points to the identity of Jesus. In the end, the reader is encouraged to weigh the facts and decide for themselves.

I found Strobel's approach fascinating. Strobel came armed with his investigative skills and a heavy dose of skepticism. You really need to be committed to uncovering the truth if you will travel to the extent he did and prepare in the way he did to meet these scholars and theologians. Interspersed among the narrative and interviews are sidebars with other pertinent information Strobel learned or tidbits of history and how it played into his investigation. As one would expect, you can't have this discussion without citing some Scripture as well. 

As a Christian, I didn't need to be convinced about the identity of God's greatest gift to the world, but The Case for Christmas still captivated me. I am glad I took time to read it. I would love to read more of Strobel's books.

Publisher : Zondervan; Reprint edition (September 8, 2014)
Language: : English
Mass Market Paperback : 112 pages
ISBN-10 : 0310340594
ISBN-13 : 978-0310340591

I purchased a copy of this book. This review contains my honest opinions, which I have not been compensated for in any way.

No comments: