Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books that Make Me Hungry



Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.

Well, well, well, this will be a fun topic. Who doesn't like thinking about food? For the record, I am a junk food junkie. I've simply had to trim back my bad habits as I've gotten older. The funny thing is, I'm not a huge fan of culinary mysteries. Weird, huh?

Top Ten Books that Make Me Hungry


I know I have talked about this book a lot lately, but it really is one of my favorite books since I started blogging. Southern fiction is known for its food, so it should be no surprise you will find recipes in this one.


Amish fiction is one of my favorite genres. The two authors whose work I read the most are Charlotte Hubbard and Vannetta Chapman. Food plays a large role in their Amish communities, and each author has recipes from books on her website. 


I bought the next two because I found I wasn't using my kitchen appliances to their fullest. I've made a few of the recipes from the Air Fryer Cookbook, but I haven't used The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook yet because most of the recipes call for adding gluten, which I don't have here and haven't been able to find.



I cracked this next one open a few times, but haven't really dug into it the way I want to. Netflix created a documentary series based on Salt Fat Acid Heat in 2018. I'm watching it now.


This next book I bought more because of its Little House on the Prairie tie-in than the recipes, but it has 80 comfort food recipes that remind me of the show and of times long ago. 


This next book is all about creating a life-giving legacy in your home through rhythms, routines, and rituals, growing relationships, celebrating life, being in service to each other, and shaping a certain family culture based on love, and combining personalities, history, events, and traditions. For me, part of how I show my love for my family and serve them is cooking--which I truly enjoy. 


The Hunger Games trilogy reminds me of food more because of the lack of it in the districts than because of its abundance in the capital. As part of its summer reading program, our library used to have someone who would teach the kids how to make foods from the series. It was a neat way to celebrate the books. 


Though I mentioned at the beginning that I'm not a fan of culinary mysteries, I don't mind food playing some part in the story, and these next books are fun. Abigail Keam's Josiah Reynolds mysteries have a few titles with food--or drink--in them: Death By a Honey Bee (close enough), Death By Bourbon, and Death By Chocolate. 




That's my list. Do we share any titles? What are some books you think I should add?

7 comments:

P M Prescott said...

Interesting cook books. https://pmprescott.blogspot.com/2020/08/ttt-090120.html

Lydia said...

Well, now I'm craving chocolate. Ha!

My post .

Musings of a Sassy Bookish Mama said...

Definitely needing some chocolate now! LOL! I need to look for the Prairie Cookbook maybe not so much for the recipes but I just love Little House so it would go great with our collection!

Happy TTT!

https://www.musingsofasassybookishmama.com/2020/09/top-ten-tuesday-book-covers-that-make.html

Lectrice Vorace said...

I'm tempted to buy an Air Fryer...

Here's my Top Ten Tuesday list.

Cheryl said...

Thanks, P.M. You had a great list today.

Lydia, I am always craving chocolate. :)

Sassy Bookish Mama, it has some neat photos. If you like the show it is a good book to have.

Lectrice, I wasn't sure how I would like the air fryer, but it definitely makes supper time go quicker.

Thanks for visiting today, everyone.

Deanna @ A Novel Glimpse said...

Anything with bread or chocolate makes me hungry. So several of these would make me eat for sure!

Greg said...

I love the look of some of these! And I do like an occasional food- related mystery. :)