Friday, August 28, 2020

Book Review: Five Minutes, Mr. Byner! by John Byner with Douglas Wellman

An entertaining and engaging memoir awaits you in Five Minutes, Mr. Byner! Producer-director and author Douglas Wellman helped John Byner bring the story of is life to the world.

What readers find within this book's pages is the story of a young man with a knack for mimicking voices that led him from performing in his family's living room to entertaining his fellow shipmates in the Navy, to New York nightclubs, to The Ed Sullivan Show, and into a variety of television shows and movies throughout the decades.

Fondly recalling Byner from shows throughout my childhood--Get Smart, Hawaii Five-O, The Odd Couple, Soap, and more--I found the story of his life a fabulous way to enjoy the days that have long passed us by.

Accompanied by personal photos and a wonderful foreword by Nathan Lane, if you enjoy celebrity memoirs, you won't want to miss Five Minutes, Mr. Byner!


ISBN-10 : 1608082342
Paperback : 250 pages
ISBN-13 : 978-1608082346
Publisher : WriteLife Publishing; None Edition (August 1, 2020)


Excerpt:

Some people call it fate; others call it luck. Whatever you call it, you've probably been somewhere by chance at exactly the right moment and ended up getting a welcome surprise. I had one of those moments early in my career and it changed my life.

My ability to mimic voices opened up some special opportunities for me. Initially it was just a hobby. I entertained family members, school mates, buddies in the navy, and my coworkers in a myriad of blue-collar jobs, and one white-collar one. I had no idea my future would be in the spotlight in night clubs, television, cartoons, movies, variety shows, and a host of other exciting places. And maybe it wouldn't have been except for fate, luck, or whatever you want to call it. My world opened up one night because I happened to be on a little stage in New York at just the right moment. It was an unplanned event. Had it not occurred, I don't know where I'd be today.





I received a copy from the author's publicist. This review contains my honest opinion, which I have not been compensated for in any way.



No comments: