Sunday, January 5, 2020

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? - Jan 6



It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a place to meet up and share what you have been, are and about to be reading over the week. It's a great post to organize yourself. It's an opportunity to visit and comment, and er... add to that ever growing TBR pile! So welcome in everyone. This meme started with J Kaye's Blog and then was taken up by Sheila from Book Journey. Sheila then passed it on to Kathryn at the Book Date.

Welcome to the first It's Monday! What Are You Reading? post of 2020. I hope you enjoyed your holidays. Ours were wonderful. Now, it's back to the real world and work will be crazy this week. The Lil' Princess goes back to school on Tuesday, too, so schedules are coming back after a few weeks of playing it by ear.

I read this book by a local author over the holidays. Look for my review this week.


I started this one, but it wasn't doing it for me, so I put it aside. 



Do you ever wonder why you buy certain books or request some books for review? Maybe they sounded interesting once, but when you pull them out of the pile you scratch your head wondering why it is even there. This is the year I'm not reading books I don't enjoy. This summer, The Book Connection will be 15 years old. I've earned putting aside books that don't suit my tastes or that I can't get into. My litmus test will be three chapters. If I'm not liking it by then, it's being donated to the library book sale.

Right now, I'm reading this one from Charlotte Hubbard. I love her books, so I'm hoping for another great read.


I owe reviews to authors for 16 books, but I'm not sure one of those will be the next book I read. You've seen the list, so I won't share it again. I just feel like I need to be kind to myself this year. I will get them read, but not sure when.

Have you made any changes to your reading schedule this year? What is the first book you plan to read or have started reading? What is one book you're looking forward to?

Here's to a year of great books!

8 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I have had that experience with books, wondering why I chose them. Usually it is because there has been some hype about them. I have no problem setting them aside if they don't appeal to me, but now I try to be more careful when making the selections.

Enjoy your week, and thanks for visiting my blog.

shelleyrae @ book'd out said...

Being kind to yourself is important! My only goal is to keep up!

Wishing you a great reading week

Cheryl said...

Laurel, I totally hear you. I think that's part of why I rarely read a book or series that's been hyped up. My only regret is not reading the Harry Potter series earlier. I really loved it.

That's a good goal, Shelley. Not falling behind is important.

Thanks for visiting!

Kathy Martin said...

Like you, I am going to stop reading books I'm not enjoying. I look at my TBR mountain and wonder why I ever picked a book. It is time to do a weeding of that collection and donate the books to someone who might enjoy them - but then, I've been saying that for months and the books still sit on the shelves. Come see my week here and Happy New Year!

Yvonne said...

I feel the same way about my reading. I have to be good to myself and get to the books when I can. I'm being very selective these days about which books I accept these days. Hope you have a great week!

Kathryn T said...

Excellent decision to put books aside you are not enjoying. We all need to do it more. I am going to be far more selective especially around review books, I don't want to get hooked into reading a book that is okay but I could have been reading something more to my taste.

westmetromommy said...

I don't know if I would call it a change to my reading schedule, but I am really working on only having one (okay, 3) books going at once. I had one I'm reading, one book of poetry, and 1 audiobook. I'm hoping to stick with this all year.

Cheryl said...

Kathy, we can both keep working toward the end of that TBR pile.

Yvonne and Kathryn, good luck with being selective.

Westmetromommy, hope you're able to stick with just three books at a time. I can only manage one, so you have me beat.

Thanks for visiting today, everyone.