Monday, April 4, 2016

Musing Mondays - April 4 Comfort Reads



Musing Mondays is a weekly meme now hosted at Jenn's new blog Books And A Beat that asks you to choose one of the following prompts to answer:
  • I’m currently reading…
  • Up next I think I’ll read…
  • I bought the following book(s) in the past week…
  • I’m super excited to tell you about (book/author/bookish-news)…
  • I’m really upset by (book/author/bookish-news)…
  • I can’t wait to get a copy of…
  • I wish I could read ___, but…
  • I blogged about ____ this past week…
THIS WEEK’S RANDOM QUESTION: What is your favorite “comfort” read?

It's a snowy start to the week here in Massachusetts. Yesterday was crazy: high winds, blowing snow, and spots of blue sky and sunshine. It's snowing this morning too. I thought we were in spring, not winter.

Great question this week. Comfort reads are either fun or inspiring for me depending upon why I need the comfort.

If I am seeking a return to when my life was simpler or I wasn't facing so many decisions, it would be a book or series that I used to read regularly--or at least more than once.




If I am overwhelmed or feeling sad, I usually reach for something spiritual or inspiring.




And if I just want to read for the fun of it--something that is comfortable simply because it is purely for entertainment value--I might go with a romantic comedy or women's fiction.



How about you? What are some of your "comfort" reads?

5 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I couldn't think of a comfort read, but those look very good. I actually have an e-book collection of a few Anne of Green Gables books that I've been meaning to read.

Enjoy!

Here is MY MUSING MONDAYS POST

Elise Anderson said...

Interesting post and I downloaded The Greatest Miracle in the World- you have me intrigued! Thanks. My post today: http://lovelyyarnescapes.blogspot.com/2016/04/musing-monday-oh-what-to-read.html

Through The Letter Box said...

Laura Ingalls Wilder will always be a comfort read for me. I grew up on her teachings and being from Nebraska, I felt like j was actually living her books sometimes as a young child. :) great answers!

Unknown said...

Hi, I loved Anne of Green Gables and Little House on the Prairie when I was young, I haven't really considered returning to them but I might do that. It would be interesting to see if I pick up on different things now that I'm older.

I'm currently reading through Mark's Gospel with my Bible Study group, we read aloud different verses from different versions. I love hearing the different interpretations. I've not tried the New King James Version yet. Is it easier than the original version?

Rachel @ Paein-and-Ms4Tune

Cheryl Malandrinos said...

Thanks for visiting, everyone. Sorry I am so slow in responding. Work has been nuts lately.

Laurel, you really need to read AOGG. I appreciated them much more as an adult than I did when I was younger.

Hope you enjoy Mandino, Elise.

Through the Letter Box, Wilder's books are so wonderful. How neat you felt such a strong connection to them.

Rachel, I definitely find the New King James Version easier. For Sunday school I prefer the American Standard Version.