Friday, October 10, 2014

Interview with Richard Hardy, Author of The Infinity Program


Richard H. Hardy was born in Glasgow, Scotland and moved to the United States when he was four years old. He grew up in the Finger Lakes area of New York State and attended college at Boston University. He and his wife moved to New Hampshire where he worked at a software company for 26 years. The Infinity Program is Richard’s first published novel. He is currently working on a new novel, tentatively titled The Omega Rapture.

Website: http://richard-hardy.com/

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/richard.hardy.31924

Twitter: @rhfh944

Where did you grow up?

I grew up in the Finger Lakes area of New York State.  Many people think of New York City when they hear New York, but the Finger Lakes region is a very beautiful rural area of the state.  Rochester, New York was the nearest city and was about 30 miles from where I lived.

When did you begin writing?

I started writing sporadically at about 8 years of age.  When I was 14 it became a passion and I started churning out short stories and poems.  As an adult, the novel has been my main focus. 

Do you write during the day, at night or whenever you can sneak a few moments?

I am definitely a morning person and have always done my best work before noon.  In the afternoon I work on editing and revision.

What is this book about?

The Infinity Program is about a world class computer programmer named Harry Sale who encounters an alien information system.  The alien system is a kind of Pandora’s Box.  Harry soon realizes that the alien system gives him the power to change the world forever. 

What inspired you to write it?


There were many different inspirations for the book.  I was inspired by Science Fiction writers such as Philip K. Dick, Robert Silverberg, and Robert Sheckley.  The big non-fiction inspiration for me was Eric Drexler’s The Engines of Creation.

Who is your favorite character from the book?

Harry Sale, the programming genius in the book, is my favorite character.  He is quirky, eccentric and totally irascible.  Yet there is a lovable side to him (I hope!).

Was the road to publication smooth sailing or a bumpy ride?

The road to publication was an arduous one.  I couldn’t get a major publisher to even look at the book.  I tried hard to find an agent, but had no luck there either.  Finally I decided to try some smaller, independent publishers.  Camel Press accepted the book for publication on September 9th, 2012.

If you knew then, what you know now, is there anything you would have done differently?

A romantic relationship is one of the subplots of The Infinity Program.  If I had the book to do over again I would try to show a little more than I did of the love relationship that develops between Jon Graeme and Lettie Olsen.

Where can readers purchase a copy of your book?

My publisher, Camel Press, has done a great job of making the book available at outlets around the world.  It is also available at Amazon (throughout the world), Barnes and Noble, Smashwords, and Itunes. 

What is one piece of advice you would like to share with aspiring authors everywhere?

Remember what Winston Churchill said:  “Never, never, never, give up!”

What is up next for you?

I’m hard at work on a new novel.  I’m wrestling with the middle section of the book.  If I am able to get that ironed out soon, I hope to finish the book before the end of the year.  The tentative title of the book is The Omega Rapture.

Is there anything you would like to add?


I would like to give my deepest thanks to the readers, the bloggers, and the book people of the world.  Without you, the life of a writer would have no meaning.



3 comments:

Tribute Books said...

Cheryl, thanks for inviting Richard back to your blog for a lovely interview :)

Unknown said...

Thank you, Cheryl, for publishing my Post!

Cheryl said...

Great to be able to host for you, Nicole. Richard, I wish you the best and hope your book does well.