Monday, September 8, 2014

Musing Mondays - September 7



Musing Mondays is a weekly meme from MizB at Should Be Reading. It asks you to muse about one of the following each week…


• Describe one of your reading habits.
• Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
• What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on? Tell us about it!
• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.
• Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!
• Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!

My Musing:


Right now, I'm in the middle of The Red Sheet by Mia Kerick.
Here's the official blurb:

One October morning, high school junior Bryan Dennison wakes up a different person helpful, generous, and chivalrous a person whose new admirable qualities he doesn't recognize. Stranger still is the urge to tie a red sheet around his neck like a cape.

Bryan soon realizes this compulsion to wear a red cape is accompanied by more unusual behavior. He can't hold back from retrieving kittens from tall trees, helping little old ladies cross busy streets, and defending innocence anywhere he finds it.

Shockingly, at school, he realizes he used to be a bully. He's attracted to the former victim of his bullying, Scott Beckett, though he has no memory of Scott from before the change. Where he'd been lazy in academics, overly aggressive in sports, and socially insecure, he's a new person. And although he can recall behaving egotistically, he cannot remember his motivations.

Everyone, from his mother to his teachers to his superjock former pals, is shocked by his dramatic transformation. However, Scott Beckett is not impressed by Bryan's newfound virtue. And convincing Scott he's genuinely changed and improved, hopefully gaining Scott's trust and maybe even his love, becomes Bryan's obsession.

Definitely not my usual read, as young adult romance in any form isn't my typical fare. Not quite sure what made me decide to review this one, but bullying has been on my mind a bit lately since the start of school. I don't worry much about my kids being bullied, but I remember it was a big issue when I was growing up. Much of what I was subjected to at the hands of my classmates would fall into the bullying category by today's laws. 

But I digress...

I've enjoyed this book a lot so far, but I wish there was a bit less cussing. I know, showing my age by saying the word "cussing." I'm not saying young people this age don't speak this way or that it's unrealistic; just that I don't care for it. 

Have any of you read this book? What did you think about it? 

No comments: