Monday, September 29, 2014

Musing Mondays - September 29



Musing Mondays is a weekly meme from MizB at Should Be Reading. It asks you to muse about one of the following each week…


• Describe one of your reading habits.
• Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
• What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on? Tell us about it!
• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.
• Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!
• Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!

My Musing:

It looks like it is going to be a Laura Ingalls Wilder year. I'm currently taking two online courses through Canvas Network: "Laura Ingalls Wilder: Exploring Her Work and Writing Life" and "Ozarks History: Examining an American Culture, Ozark Studies." I have to admit the latter has been slow going, but only because it requires me to perform so much reading on my PC instead of being able to read in the tub at night. 

The instructor for my Laura Ingalls Wilder course is Pamela Smith Hill, author of Laura Ingalls Wilder: A Writer’s Life and the editor of Laura Ingalls Wilder’s Pioneer Girl: The Annotated Autobiography. I find the lecture portion of the course rather boring, but I think that is because it's hard for an instructor to give a videotaped talk without an audience. Hill's book is one of the reading requirements for the course, as are some of the Little House books. We're starting week two today, and I've already completed 3/4 of my reading for the week.

Have you ever taken a course about a famous author you were interested in? I've also taken a college course on the American Civil War. Have you studied a subject in school simply because it interested you?

Happy Monday!

3 comments:

Cleopatra Loves Books said...

These two books sound fascinating - I was a big Little House on the Prairie fan.

JC Jones said...

I haven't done that but it sounds like fun. I guess as I have to give up travel I might do that.

Cheryl said...

Thanks for visiting. Cleo, I loved the show too. It's what led me to learn more about Wilder's real life.

JC, it really is a blast. I'm up for a road trip again next year to more LIW sites, but studying about her is almost as fun.