Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Interview with Donna Galanti, Author of A Human Element

Donna Galanti writes murder and mystery with a dash of steam as well as middle grade adventure fiction. She is an International Thriller Writers Debut Author of the paranormal suspense novel A Human Element, the short story collection The Dark Inside, and Joshua and The Lightning Road.

She’s lived from England as a child, to Hawaii as a U.S. Navy photographer. Donna dreamed of being a writer when she fell in love with the worlds of Narnia and Roald Dahl attending school in a magical English castle where her dark imagination ran wild in an itchy uniform (bowler hat and tie included). She now lives in Pennsylvania with her family in an old farmhouse. It has lots of writing nooks, fireplaces, and stink bugs, but she’s still wishing for a castle again—preferably with ghosts.

Her latest book is the paranormal romance, A Hidden Element.

For More Information


Can you tell us a bit about yourself?  

I am adopted and an only child, which both come to play in my books, and I love being alone! My other loves are bicycling, kayaking, and reading. I was a bit of a nomad until I settled into the career of novelist. I wandered from being a U.S. Naval photographer stationed in Hawaii to marketing bomb detection devices to running my own resume writing service.

What is your fondest childhood memory?

Soon after adopting me my parents moved us all over from England to owning a campground in New Hampshire. Cobham Surrey, England was my favorite place in the world to live as a child as it had such a medieval feel, and my favorite memories are from there. We lived in the old caretaker’s house of this old grand estate called White Tops. It even came with a gardener. It was a place of days gone by where I’d walk down the country lane to school and feed horses sugar cubes along the way. Each day the fish man would bring kippers for breakfast and the milk man would drop glass bottles at our door…and clotted cream some days. I even made my parents take me to Tintagel in Cornwall, the supposed castle ruins of King Arthur, because I love all things King Arthur.

When did you begin writing?

I’ve been a writer all my life since I was seven and fell in love with C.S. Lewis and Roald Dahl.  The tooth fairy would leave books by them under my pillow! Not surprising my first piece was a murder mystery screenplay that I had the neighborhood kids act out! I knew I was born to be a writer. It’s all I ever burned to do. When my mother died five years ago I began writing novels out of grief. Eventually that grief turned to peace and then at discovering what I love to do, be a true storyteller.

What is this book about?

In A Hidden Element evil lurks within...One family must risk everything to defeat an enemy that wants to rule the world with their son, but their enemy’s son may be their only hope to escape—if he survives.

A Hidden Element contains universal elements that people can relate to; abandonment, loss, redemption, acceptance, grief—and yearning for something you can never have. While there are paranormal and science fiction elements to A Hidden Element, there are some very real dimensions played out. These include the tensions within a family, specifically between fathers and sons, and the dilemma posed of how far a parent will go to save a child.


What inspired you to write it?


Writing in the paranormal allows me to tap into the “what if”. What if we possessed the power to do the unbelievable? Like telepathy, telekinesis. And what if we could use those powers to heal – or to kill? Some people like to imagine that aliens would have such power, as eluded to in A Hidden Element, but what if it was inside us all along and we just had to tap into it? And what if we could get people to follow us with our mind powers and do whatever we wished? Cults have fascinated me and how one person can inspire people to do terrible things. My cult fascination began with the horrifying story of Jim Jones played out in the news when I was a child.      

Where can readers purchase a copy of your book?
You can purchase the Element Trilogy books here:

Book 2 in the Element Trilogy, A Hidden Element: http://amzn.to/1zjpIjM

Book 1 in the Element Trilogy, A Human Element: http://amzn.to/1mNcyCO


Do you have a website and/or blog where readers can find out more?


What is one piece of advice you would like to share with aspiring authors everywhere?

To me, success in writing comes from continuing to learn the writing craft and applying all I learn along the way. Success in writing can also only truly come when you let go—let go of your ego that is. I believe that this is the biggest reason why I am published, have a wonderful agent as my champion, and have four books coming out in the next year. And this is the biggest reason I see writers fail because they do not accept criticism and are not willing to do the hard work to make their writing better. This writing business is hard, but worth it! 

What is up next for you?

I am now plotting the third and final book in the Element Trilogy, A Healing Element, and also a young adult medieval fantasy series. I also write children’s books and in 2015 have the first two books coming out in my middle grade adventure fantasy series, Joshua and the Lightning Road. In book 1, Joshua Cooper learns the hard way that lightning never strikes by chance, when a bolt strikes his house and whisks him on an adventure to a world where stolen kids are work slaves for the frustrated heirs of the Greek Olympians. You can learn more about it here: www.donnagalanti.com


1 comment:

DonnaGalanti said...

Thanks so much for having me on today to talk about A Hidden Element! It continues to be on the Amazon bestseller list in occult suspense.