Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Interview with Kelly Preston, Author of Real Dogs Don't Whisper


Award winning author, Kelly Preston is, first and foremost, an animal lover.

Meet her family like no other: herself, Mr. MaGoo, Buffy, Carla Mae, and Betty Boop. A girl, her two Lhasa Apsos, one Cocker Spaniel, and one adorable mutt – each with their own challenging set of difficulties to overcome. One puppy has serious neurological disorders and is blind. Two were severely abused. All are on a journey of discovery. Together, learning love and patience along the way, they have grown and thrived. Perhaps none so much as Kelly. Raised on a ten-acre property in a small town in Pennsylvania, she grew up with horses, rabbits, and - of course - dogs. When she left home after college, she acquired Gizmo, an irresistible Lhasa Apso that started her on a journey full of joys and sorrows, hopes and tribulations, frustrations, endless lessons in patience, and above all else, love. All of this has come at the hands (more precisely the paws) of Gizmo, Betty Boop, Buffy, Carla Mae, and the inimitable Mr. MaGoo.

Her co-author, Mr. MaGoo, keeps their readers and fans up to date through the use of their Facebook page (www.facebook.com/realdogsdontwhisper); as well as Mr MaGoo is quite the blogger (www.realdogsdontwhisper.com/blog).  His blog, Mr MaGoo’s Shenanigans is updated once a week with healthy recipes, nutrition, exercise and much more tips for pet parents.

Learn more both about Kelly and Mr MaGoo at http://www.realdogsdontwhisper.com 


Where did you grow up?

I was born in a very small town in PA, Brogue, growing up there for my adult years along with my two younger siblings, Colleen and Shawn.  My mother was a homemaker and encouraged us to follow our passion, which I did; I loved animals as a child.  I grew up riding and showing horses; studied Dressage, foxhunting, trail riding, assisted riding programs, and even did horse judging competition.  Upon college years, the horses I had to put aside for studies, and I filled my college years to present with dogs.  After college, I went into business for myself, opening an aerobic studio in York, PA; and, I fell in love with an adorable Lhasa Apso, Gizmo.  Gizmo is a cast member of Real Dogs Don’t Whisper and I do not want to share too much, otherwise, it would be a "spoiler alert."

When did you begin writing?

This is my first book; the idea came to me December of 2010. I wanted to share my life and experiences around special needs pets and how it was they that taught me so much about life and myself.  I began to journal my life, experiences and what I learned during that particular time. 

Since I published Real Dogs Don’t Whisper, I also have published a children’s picture book, Mister Spunky and His Friends.  I have taken the concept and messages of Real Dogs Don’t Whisper, placing the material in a format that children (5 years and older) will enjoy.

What is this book about?

Real Dogs Don’t Whisper is my life story about having special needs in my life; only to realize in my adult years, how truly blessed I was even as a child.  My journey began early on when my late brother, Shawn, was born with Down’s Syndrome.  As I grew and matured into adulthood, special need pets entered my life at random times.  These series of events led me to a path of self-discovery; I share the lessons that I learned along the way, both personally and professionally.


What inspired you to write it?


Having four special needs dogs that were rescued, there were times in my life that people in my life just didn’t understand why I needed to leave a party early, or why I wasn’t able to travel.  I wanted to share my rewarding experience; wanted to raise awareness for rescue pets, especially those with special needs.  I felt the need to share my experiences to help, inspire and motivate others.
  
How is it similar to other books in its genre? How is it different?

There are great books in this genre and we all share one thing in common; our passion to raise awareness about our cause, pets in need.  Or, is it us humans that are needy? 

What makes Real Dogs Don’t Whisper stand out from the rest? Mr. MaGoo.  I kid you not! Mr. MaGoo not only shares his perspective from a dog’s point of view; he will take you through any given day, adding humor along the way and, of course, reminding everyone that us girls in the house can not survive without him.  Mr. MaGoo will let you know that I am a "crazy lady" and him being the only male in the house is over the top very difficult for him to manage.  After all, what is a guy to do with a house of girls and one "crazy lady?"

What is the most important thing readers can learn from your book?

The goal was to inspire the audience. No matter what may face us, with determination, unconditional love and support from others and, opening your heart to allow love in when not expected, amazing and priceless outcomes will occur.  

Where can readers purchase a copy?

http://realdogsdontwhisper.com/the-book/purchase-real-dogs-book/ - Mr. MaGoo paw prints each book purchased from here

Amazon:http://www.amazon.com/Kelly-Preston/e/B004W0AXCO/(Paperback and Kindle)

Barnes and Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/real-dogs-dont-whisper-kelly-preston/1111604520(Paperback) and http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/real-dogs-dont-whisper-kelly-preston/1030796551 (Nook)


Bookshop Santa Cruz: http://www.bookshopsantacruz.com/search/apachesolr_search/Kelly%20Preston
KOBO (digital): 


What is up next for you?

With the recent release of Mister Spunky and His Friends, working on reaching parents and teachers about my new children’s picture book. 

Additionally, I recently rescued a 2-year-old Shih Tzu, named him Mini Me, as I foresee him following in Mr. MaGoo’s paw prints; in fact, he already is on so many levels.  Perhaps there will be a sequel to Real Dogs Don’t Whisper with Mr. MaGoo and Mini Me authoring? 


Is there anything you would like to add?


Thank you for having me stop by to increase awareness for special needs pets. It is amazing how much our pets can teach us about life; special needs pets teach us much more than about love and friendship.  They teach us about the meaning of second chances and miracles.  They teach us about life.  

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

This is an award winning author whose novel highlights her fur babies and their special needs. With love in her heart she has welcomed each of them into her home.

Mr MaGoo's Shenanigans said...

Thank you Rebecca for your kind words. Mr MaGoo and I would like to also give out a big thank you for highlighting our book.

Kelly and Mr MaGoo