Monday, August 5, 2013

Book Review: Vinland Viking: A Saga by Gary L. Doman


Prepare yourself for an eloquently told epic fantasy adventure story in "Vinland Viking: A Saga." 

In the year 1000, nineteen-year-old Ynger Magnusson sails for North America, attempting to escape the impact of Christianity. Longing to lead the life of the pagan Vikings, his journey takes an unusual turn and Ynger finds himself witness to a momentous preview of future events that will change his life forever.

"Vinland Viking" is a richly-detailed, eloquently told historical adventure novella. Set at the time of Iceland's and Greenland's conversion to Christianity, the main character, a nineteen-year-old Viking, seeks nothing more than to follow the life of the storied pagan gods. Heavy on narrative and light on dialogue, author Gary L. Doman creates a fascinating adventure that easily displays his knowledge of the history behind the story.

A character-driven reader such as myself is at a slight disadvantage with "Vinland Viking" in that the novella focuses mostly on narrative to move the story along. Since I enjoy getting inside a character's head when I read, the heavy narrative was a bit distancing. I feel this style would be excellent, however, for a read aloud version of the adventure. And the dramatic conclusion of this story definitely left me wanting to see how these events might have changed Ynger's life going forward.

History lovers ages 12 and up will enjoy this one. There are some detailed battle scenes, so I wouldn't suggest the novella for readers younger than this. The book is available in paperback form, but the digital version is a revised edition.


File Size: 225 KB
Print Length: 61 pages
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
Language: English
ASIN: B00AMV8KW2

I received an electronic version of this book from the author's publicist. I have been paid to promote this novella with a virtual book tour through Pump Up Your Book. This fee did not include a review. This review contains my honest opinions, which I have not been compensated for in any way.


This is the 8th book I've read for the following challenge:


No comments: