Thursday, July 26, 2012

Tales of the Overwhelmed Blogger


When The Book Connection started back in 2007 (celebrated five years on July 4th, but who's counting), blogging and virtual book tours were relatively new animals. Fastforward to present day and a new virtual book tour company seems to crop up every week and blogging of all kinds has become a phenomenon where people of all ages have learned how to brand themselves, created platforms, and even monetized their passions for books, movies, products and more.

More options led to more blogs and more sponsors seeking representation for their wares. That's good news, right? In many ways, yes. It has offered us book-loving people a way to explore our passion for the written word without going broke. It allows us to discover new authors we might not have heard of if we stuck just to what lines the shelves of the large chain bookstores.

But with more virtual book tour companies, a market flooded with self-published titles, and the explosion of electronic books, the world of book blogging has become one where more requests come in than one can possibly handle. As an author, I hate to say no to anyone. Even though I have a note on my blogs and posted with my review policies that I am not accepting new books, the requests keep coming in. Many of the requests are in genres I love, too, but I  owe some people reviews back to January of last year. I have to catch up.

Usually catch up time comes over vacation. This year I brought my Kindle, my Kindle Fire and three printed books. Because we had extended family with us and due to my hubby contracting pink eye during our second week, I read only three books. Most times I read 10 or more.

I can't imagine I'm the only one struggling to work through their TBR pile. How are you managing your workload? Are you receiving new requests? How do people respond when you say no? Are you finding it hard to respond to the sheer number of requests you receive?

2 comments:

brokenteepee said...

I read fast which is a very good thing. I have never had anyone react poorly to my declining to review a book. I simply say I am too well booked.

If I am sent a book that I did not agree to I no longer feel the pressure to review it. When I started I felt guilty but not now. Now, I'm on a schedule and if a publicist sends me a book without contacting me first they are taking a chance and I don't feel I owe them a review if I didn't expressly agree to it. IF the book intrigues me I might try and fit it into my schedule but I'm so tight that is almost impossible.

Cheryl said...

I've stopped worrying over unsolicited books too. I used to try to work them in, but I don't any longer. I have too many books I've committed to.