Monday, April 20, 2009

The Depth of My Soul by Balthazar Rodrigue Nzomono-Balenda



The Depth of My Soul is a book of poetry focusing on injustices such as wars, corruption, war crimes, religious fundamentalism, child abuse, other types of abuse, torture, dictatorship, relationship problems etc. When the author wrote this book, he was inspired by the news on CNN and other media. The goal of this book is to share his approach with readers about the problems the world faces.

Balthazar would love to hear from you. You can visit his website at www.ganymedeweb.com.

After reading this synopsis, it seemed interesting that a poet would use CNN and other media as a basis for his work. This is the topic I asked Balthazar to discuss in his guest article today.

Balthazar's Turn:

News as Inspiration
by Balthazar Rodrigue Nzomono-Balenda

News is relevant because it provides me with information to research about different themes, which are the desires of my heart. I watch news everyday on CNN, BBC, TV5 Monde every single day, 365 days a year. When I get news on my fingertips, I keep myself up to date about several events, which are taking place around the world. I use the news as the inspiration because I want to share my approach about these events.

Very often I get inspiration from CNN anchors, such as Christiane Amanpour for her programs about the 3 monotheist religions and the war crimes our politicians ignore because of certain interests. I watch coverage about wars, genocides, religious conflicts, political problems, immigration, dictatorship, xenophobia, financial crisis, natural disasters etc.

It’s not just about being inspired, but the idea of using this inspiration in an effective way to reach out to my readers when I write a book. I must admit that I am not interested in everything I hear on the news. I choose themes that are an inspiration to me. Besides watching the news, I go on the internet and research different themes that I want to use for my books. Sometimes, I am frustrated about the events that I watch on the news i.e. politicians in our part of the world talk about freedom and justice, but work with dictators for their interests. I find it very sick, and it makes so angry that I have trillions of questions in my mind about them. I usually grumble about their approach to dictators who torture their people, who ignore their citizens living in poverty dying of different kinds of diseases and illnesses. It got me nowhere, and I was the one who was suffering. That’s why I decided to approach these problems by expressing myself through the most powerful too, which sometimes makes no sense. That’s poetry. Writing books about the problems we face in our societies, is an opportunity for me to share my views with my readers and learn from them as well.

No comments: