Thursday, February 19, 2009

It's Not Fair, Jeremey Spencer's Parents Let Him Stay Up All Night! by Anthony E. Wolf, Ph.D.--Book Review



Looking for a book that will help you through some of the most diffcult challenges of parenting children? Look no further than It's Not Fair, Jeremey Spencer's Parents Let Him Stay Up All Night! by Anthony E. Wolf, Ph.D.

I received this book from my daughter's school adjustment counselor. Having a strong-willed daughter and being strong-willed myself, I expressed concern over the battles we wage in our household each day. Why is it that she is so well-behaved at school, but the moment she comes home it's like someone dropped the bomb?

Through It's Not Fair, I was able to catch glimpses not only of my daughter's behavior, but also of my own. Already feeling like I was part of the problem, Wolf's insight showed me the areas I need to concentrate on, areas that required me only to change how I handled the situation.

In this book, Wolf discusses the "baby self" and how there remains a part of us that does not grow up. This "baby self" acts very differently from the "mature self"--the part of us that does grow up--who is able to handle stress, accept responsibility, and have self-control.

Topics I found especially helpful were those on power struggles, consistency, dealing with whining, sulking, and temper tantrums, and sibling rivalry.

It's Not Fair, Jeremey Spencer's Parents Let Him Stay Up All Night! is like a parent's best friend: understanding, not judgmental, and filled with great advice. Perhaps the best part is that Wolf doesn't insist you do things his way; he suggests what he has seen work in the past and shares his knowledge of why these parenting methods work. And he does it in such a way that you aren't left feeling like a failure before he came along to save you. He just gives you the tools to create the more tranquil home you want.

No parent should be without It's Not Fair, Jeremey Spencer's Parents Let Him Stay Up All Night!!


Title: It's Not Fair, Jeremey Spencer's Parents Let Him Stay Up All Night!
Author: Anthony E. Wolf, Ph.D.
Publisher: The Noonday Press
ISBN: 0-374-52473-4
SRP: $14.00 (U.S.)

No comments: