Thursday, November 13, 2008

Leaps of Faith Virtual Book Tour



Today we have the pleasure of interviewing Karina Fabian, a contributor to Leaps of Faith, an anthology of Christian Science fiction. Karina and her husband Robert also served as the book's editors.

What is the title of your story and what is the inspiration behind it?

I have a couple of stories in Leaps of Faith:

--Leap of Faith: My husband and I had come up with a universe where the solar system had been colonized and an order of nuns did search and rescue operations in outer space. We have several stories in this "Rescue Sisters" universe. Leap of Faith came to me after reading a story about a woman who had had a very traumatic experience as a child, but her mother, while comforting her, told her "Just forget about it." She did, repressing the memory completely, but later other events triggered the emotions from the experience. I decided to do the same with Sister.

--Tampering with God's Time: I actually wrote this in college, wondering what God would do if people tried to tamper with Biblical events. I was glad to brush it off for this anthology. I changed a few things, but overall, the story is the same.

Why did you decide to create Leaps of Faith?

Rob and I had wanted to write science fiction that included the Christian religion because we don't feel that humankind will "outgrow" faith just because we leave the atmosphere, develop new tech toys or even conquer the mystery of time travel. At that time, there were very few venues for Christian SF--that has changed now, hooray!--so we were pleased when FrancisIsidore E-Press gave us a chance to compile this book. Now, we're even more pleased that The Writers' Café Press is putting it in print.

What is it that ties all these stories together?

Faith and science are not at loggerheads; or at least, not fighting because one is inherently superior to the other. In these stories, there is not good guy chaplain against the evil atheist scientist, nor is there the rational man of science vs. the superstitious Believer.

What do you enjoy most about writing Christian Science fiction?

It just makes more sense, from a worldbuilding point of view, to include faith in our characters. Also, it's fun to address moral or even relational issues from a religious angle. Further, my faith is such a part of me, that it comes out in my writing and characters, so I enjoy the freedom of being able to write openly about it without concern.

Find out more about this anthology at www.leapsoffaithsf.com.

The Leaps of Faith anthology is now available at Amazon.com!

1 comment:

Karina Fabian said...

Thanks for the chance to talk about our new anthology, Leaps of Faith. I enjoyed the questions.

Blessings,
Karina Fabian