Saturday, September 25, 2021

Book Review: Sherlock Holmes and the Remaining Improbable by Susanne M. Dutton

 

The game is afoot, and even though Holmes may be "indisposed," that doesn't stop him from solving mysteries. 

In the late summer of 1920, Holmes has checked himself into a psychiatric clinic on the Normandy coast to quit his cocaine addiction. When Holmes summons his assistant and friend, Watson, to Bolt Cottage, he is intrigued. For when Holmes says, "the game's afoot," he knows this retired detective is up to his sleuthing tricks again.

I had forgotten how dense reading Holmes is, but kudos to Susanne Dutton for being spot-on with the style she used to bring her story to life. As I dropped into this world of mystery filled with twists and turns, I lived in familiar territory. I enjoyed this story from beginning to end and look forward to more of Dutton's work.

If you are a fan of Holmes and Watson's adventures, you will want to read Sherlock Holmes and the Remaining Improbable.


  • Publisher ‏ : ‎ Lulu.com (May 8, 2021)
  • Language ‏ : ‎ English
  • Paperback ‏ : ‎ 148 pages
  • ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 1678075310
  • ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-1678075316

I received a digital copy of this book through Goddess Fish Promotions. This review contains my honest opinions, which I have not been compensated for in any way.



2 comments:

Susanne M. Dutton said...

Thank you, Cheryl. You sound like a reader who has had an "immersion" experience in this little known piece of Holmes' biography. I stumbled over this story as I visited a French art exhibit here in Philadelphia, featuring works by the Vernet family, as well as Rosalie Filluel. (Filluel actually painted one of the most well-recognized portraits of Benjamin Franklin!) As I put all this together with the fact than Conan Doyle says Holmes' ancestors are that very Vernet family, I was challenged to write. This is why Holmes says, "Art in the blood takes the strangest of forms," in Conan Doyle's "The Greek Interpreter" adventure. I appreciate you as a thoughtful reader and reviewer. Susanne M. Dutton, author

Cheryl said...

Thanks for visiting, Susanne. It is so nice to have an author stop by. Wishing you the best.