Monday, November 18, 2013

Interview with J.R. Rain, Author of Moon River


J.R. Rain is an ex-private investigator now writing full-time in the Pacific Northwest where he lives in a small house on a small island with his small dog, Sadie, who has more energy than Robin Williams. He will be publishing a slew of new novels over the next five years, so stop by often and check out what’s new.

Visit his website at www.jrrain.com.

Can you tell us a bit about yourself?

Sure! I’m a writer of primarily mystery novels, who lives up in the Pacific Northwest. I’ve published over 60 books now. My most popular series is my Samantha Moon series, followed closely by Jim Knighthorse and Nick Caine.

Where did you grow up?

I am a southern California boy, although my heart also belongs to the trees and cloudy skies of Washington State.

When did you begin writing?

I began writing when I was about 10. I created a series of adventure stories called Indiana Jon, which was a lot of fun. When I turned 12, I wrote my first book, called Deep Sea Danger, which is actually available online, if you can believe it.

Do you write during the day, at night or whenever you can sneak a few moments?

I write in the morning, unless life doesn’t allow it. My ideal day has me finished with my daily quota (1000 words) at around ten or eleven a.m.

What is this book about?

Moon River is the eighth Samantha Moon novel. Samantha is my vampire private eye, who also happens to be a mama. She’s had quite an adventurous past two years, and readers can read all about it, starting with Moon Dance (book #1). In Moon River, Samantha is looking into a series of park murders, and uncovers a few heartbreaking clues, all of which leads to a devastating showdown.

What inspired you to write it?


Moon River is the next installment is Samantha’s ongoing drama. The mystery itself is intimately tied into her world, and into her personal life. Samantha’s world, her friends and family, her loves and past loves, have become a part of my life.

Who is your biggest supporter?

I always credit my mama. Back when I was 12 years old, after I had written my first book, I asked my mom: “Can people really make a living writing books?” And she said, “Yes.” And I next asked her if she thought I could make a living writing books, and she told me that I could do anything I set my mind to...and that’s all I needed to hear. Of course, I believed my mama!

Are you a member of a critique group? If no, who provides feedback on your work?

No critique group. I use three readers and three readers only. My sister Elaine is always my first reader, then it goes on to my two amazing editors. And that’s it!

Who is your favorite author?

Robert B. Parker is the slickest author I’ve ever come across.

Was the road to publication smooth sailing or a bumpy ride?

As bumpy as it gets. I think I tallied over 2,500 rejections. Not fun, but definitely a growing and learning experience.

Where can readers purchase a copy of your book?

The Samantha Moon series can be purchased in your local bookstores. And for ebook readers, you can get just about all of my books at your favorite online bookstore.

Do you have a website and/or blog where readers can find out more?

No blog site, but I am active on Facebook. For more about me and my books (and for the Facebook link), head over to www.jrrain.com.

What is one piece of advice you would like to share with aspiring authors everywhere?

Spend time discovering your “voice.” Nowadays, anyone can write something and put it up on Kindle or Nook. But spend time teaching yourself the craft. You will be glad you did.

What is up next for you?

In a few weeks I’ll be releasing Clean Slate, which is the fourth in my Jim Knighthorse mystery series. These are mainstream mysteries with almost no supernatural elements in them. I say almost because a character named Jack appears in some of the books. You will have to read the stories to see who Jack actually is.

Is there anything you would like to add?

I would just like to thank you for having me! It was an honor!


No comments: