Thursday, November 3, 2011

Interview with Davis Aujourd’hui, Author of Babes in Bucksnort

Davis Aujourd’hui is the author of the Sister Mary Olga Fortitude series of hilarious satires. The first book is entitled The Misadventures of Sister Mary Olga Fortitude. It was followed by Babes in Bucksnort.



Davis possesses a rich life experience that has enabled him to draw from it in order to create a colorful canvas upon which to paint very human lives. He is a retired social worker, having worked for Adult Protective Services in New York State for nearly twenty years. He developed the characters within his series of books in order to entertain a colleague by using the gift of humor.


As will be the case with Sister Mary Olga in his third book, he is a recovering alcoholic. He also happens to be gay as are several of the endearing and humorous characters within his novels. He can speak from his own experience. He has possessed all of the foibles of his cast of characters who are naughty, nasty, and nice.


Davis lives in Upstate New York where he is currently sharing his life with his partner of seven years. He is socially-minded and spirituality is the most important ingredient in order for him to maintain a happy and successful life.


Visit this blog for information on the series: http://bestsatireseriesofthedecade.blogspot.com/


Visit this blog for information on the author: http://authordavisaujourdhui.blogspot.com/


Connect with him on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Davis-Aujourdhui/138584429540046

Can you tell us a bit about yourself?

I am a student of the human condition. This is why I incorporate different archetypes of that condition into my books. I believe that there is nothing more important than joy. That's why I love using humor in my books and finding the humor in my life. I have had a life filled with much pain and have come to learn from it.

I am a former social worker which helped me learn a lot about people and myself. I used humor to defuse the stress of that job and that's when I developed my zany characters. I did so to entertain a colleague. She just loved them and responded with cascades of laughter. That spurred me on.

When I retired, I thought to myself that I could write a book about them. That was when I wrote The Misadventures of Sister Mary Olga Fortitude. One book led to another and I have now written eleven books in the series. Have A Heart will be the next book to be released following Babes in Bucksnort.

When did you begin writing?

I loved to write as a child. I was always encouraged in my creative writing by my teachers. I began writing in earnest after I had finished my memoirs. A sneak preview of that is available in e-book form through Amazon.com. It's entitled Putting the Pieces Together. I finished my memoirs six years ago. That's when I began writing my series.

Do you write during the day, at night or whenever you can sneak a few moments?

I generally write during the day, but sometimes that can extend way into the evening. When I'm on a roll, I write about ten hours a day.

What is this book about?

Babes in Bucksnort is the sequel to the highly praised The Misadventures of Sister Mary Olga Fortitude. Once again, the unconventional bourbon-swilling, chain-smoking nun will spin outrageously funny new tales about the residents of Bucksnort, Wisconsin while she tests the will of a reformed prostitute who just happens to be her Reverend Mother.
Unfortunately, there is trouble brewing in the Snortlands. The nasty and notorious town busybody, Priscilla Bunhead, goes on a crusade to stamp out what she calls the gay menace. That's when she convinces her millionaire friend, Mildred Mayflower, to give away her fortune in order to bring the Reverend Billy-Bob Blunthead and his Born Again or Burn Forever Disciples for Jesus to town to do the job. It will be an uphill climb for them as the closet doors of many gay people in the Snortlands burst open.

Billy-Bob and his wife, Pinky Poo, will have another battle on their hands when Dimples Dufus, the heiress to the Mayflower fortune, arrives on the scene. They'll also have to reckon with a mysterious woman who channels an entity who challenges the hateful and hypocritical agenda of this spokesman for Jesus.

In between the laughs, Sister Mary Olga continues to dispense nuggets of spiritual wisdom during her classes in Beginner's and Advanced Holiness. Just don't take seats near the flatulent child named Fartley Dinkledorf or his lecherous one-hundred five year-old great-grandfather, Poopsy. The bottom line is that everyone is welcome in Sister Mary Olga's classes. Join the diverse cast of characters for a joy-ride that will tickle your funny bone until it aches.
What inspired you to write it?

As I mentioned, I was inspired to write the books after I remembered the characters I had developed to entertain my colleague.
Who is your biggest supporter?

My biggest supporters are my family and friends. My fans have also inspired me to continue my writing.

Who is your favorite author?

I have so many favorite authors. Within the comedy genre, I like Armistead Maupin and Carl Hiaasen. As for the spiritual genre, I like Anthony DeMello, Deepak Chopra, Eckhardt Tolle, Eric Butterworth, and Wayne Dyer among others.

Do you have an agent or are you looking for one?

I am seeking an agent for my next book, Have A Heart.

Was the road to publication smooth sailing or a bumpy ride?

It was a bumpy ride. I couldn't find an agent or publisher who was interested in my first two books. If they only read the rave reviews I've received, I think they would be whistling a different tune. With that said, I decided to self-publish my first two books. What I need is a publisher who will aggressively market my books and I don't have one who is doing that now.

Where can readers purchase a copy of your book?

The best place to purchase any of my books is on Amazon.com. Here are the links:

http://www.amazon.com/Misadventures-Sister-Mary-Olga-Fortitude/dp/1432730479

http://www.amazon.com/Babes-Bucksnort-Sister-Mary-Fortitude/dp/143274500X

http://www.amazon.com/Putting-the-Pieces-Together-ebook/dp/B0053YHE5M

Please be aware that the Sister Mary Olga books are available in both paperback and Kindle format. My memoirs are only available as an e-book.
Do you have a video trailer to promote your book? If yes, where can readers find it?

They can find the entertaining video trailer for the first book on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut8FzCNILKI

What is the best investment you have made in promoting your book?

My blogs done by my author assistant, Mindy Schwartz of Full Circle Administrative Services.

What is one piece of advice you would like to share with aspiring authors everywhere?

If you write well, believe in yourself and don't give up.

What is up next for you?

Of course, I am seeking an agent and a publisher for the next book in the series. I am still very much involved in the marketing of the first two books as well as editing the other books in my series. I am also seeking an agent for an unrelated book about a couple who travels through three lifetimes together. I am also looking for a publisher for my complete memoirs.

No comments: